Toxic Synthetic Air Fresheners
Air Fresheners they may make the air around us smell sweeter, but these synthetically fragranced air fresheners are also spraying a toxic mist of a nasty cocktail of synthetic ingredients into the air, which we then of course inhale and absorb into our bodies.
So why are so many of us so keen to artificially fragrance the air around us at the expense of our health? Sadly it seems ignorance is bliss and clever and enticing advertising has sucked us in yet again.
Most people would not know that to date, there are no laws governing what a fragrance manufacturer has to list in regards to the ingredients they use to produce fragranced products such as, perfumes, air fresheners or room fragrances.
Plus did you know that most of these synthetic Air Fresheners are manufactured by companies that test on animals!
Different Types Of Synthetic Air Fresheners
Synthetic Air Fresheners are available in all sorts of shapes, sizes and forms. There are from the ones your traditionally have to manually spray, the newer plug-in’s, motion detector ones.
You can buy air fresheners for your fridge, to hang in your car and pop inside your toilet.
Air fresheners have also become a popular part of home décor; e.g. toxic paraffin (petrochemical based) scented candles, scent absorbing sticks in bottles containing an artificial liquid perfumes and let’s not forgot those synthetic cheap, copies of essential oils that people burn in oil burners using again, toxic, paraffin candles.
You even find air fresheners that are even impregnated into products, such as in baby nappies, nappy bags and also in bin liners.
Read this eye-opening Fact Sheet on Air Fresheners by Dr. Anne Steinemann at the University of Washington.
Air Fresheners Making Us Sick
The ingredients in air fresheners have been linked to everything from cancer through to asthma, allergies and headaches, plus many of these products are still being tested on animals, which is appalling.
Young children, just like with most other toxins, are especially vulnerable to the dangerous chemicals in these products. This is due to exposure ratio to body mass ratio and the fact their skin is more permeable and their organs are still developing.
Phthalates In Air Fresheners
Nowadays you are able to purchase ‘so-called’ intelligent, plug-in, air fresheners and ‘sensor’ air fresheners. These latest types of air fresheners have actually made it into the news and not for a good reason!
The mist these newer air fresheners are spraying out into the air contain plasticizers known as Phthalates, every time they sense someone, or something enter into the room.
These phthalates, (also used to make PVC, the most toxic and environmentally unfriendly plastic on this earth) are linked to all sorts of health concerns, including cancer, reproductive problems and birth defects – read report here about phthalates in air fresheners.
Safe, Natural Ways To Freshen A Room
There are thankfully, safer, cruelty free and eco-friendly and organic air fresheners that we can easily use to replace those toxic and synthetic ones and below is a list of some safer, healthier and also importantly cruelty free, alternatives to keep your home smelling fresh.
- Fresh herbs, flowers and plants.
- 100% natural bee and soy wax candles impregnated with pure essential oils.
- 100% natural essential oil room sprays.
- Ceramic oil burners using again soy or natural bees wax and pure essential oils.
- Electric oil burners using pure essential oils.
- Try sprinkling a few drops of essential oil into your toilet bowl.
- I also asked a professional in the field of all-natural fragrances, Florist Christie McIntosh from Floriography, to offer us some natural, safer advice on how we can keep our homes and the air around us smelling safely sweet! Have a read of her article here.
- *Please note -It is important to also understand that even all natural products, such as certain essential oils can be toxic and harmful too e.g pregnant women should steer clear of a number of essential oils.
* I also advise till we know more of steering clear of essential oils produced in countries like the Ukraine and Bulgaria, ( the world leader in rose oil products) as to date their has been no radiation testing on essential oils, including organic certified essential oils, since the country received a huge fallout from the Chernobyl disaster.
Pick Cruelty Free Natural Air Fresheners
Please when shopping for natural fragrance products, be sure to choose products from companies that have been officially approved cruelty free by Cruelty Free International and their Leaping Bunny Programme.
You can not trust that a company may write on their products, or advertise that they are cruelty free, as any company can use clever loopholes to claim this, when in-fact they are still animal testing. See more in our article Animal Testing Do Your Part To Stop It.